August 20, 2015

U.S. Grains Council Wrap Up

Share:
By Amanda Clymer, US Grains Council Intern

Friday, August 14 was my last day in the U.S. Grains Council Washington D.C. office. For those who may have forgotten, I interned in the global programs department planning for international trade teams, consultants and missions that travel overseas. Planning for the Taiwan DDGS survey team was my individual project this summer. This team spent some time in Nebraska visiting corn farms, ethanol plants and local elevators. I worked with the Nebraska Corn Board office to plan this portion of the trip. The Taiwan group also visited the Chicago area and a Seattle export facility.

Taiwan DDGs Survey Team picture
During the summer I communicated often with the Taiwan country director, Clover, as well as the other nine country and regional offices of the U.S. Grains Council. This was meaningful to me because as people in American agriculture we always discuss the goal of feeding the world. I was able to see firsthand work of developing markets that would eventually provide food for people in China, Japan, Tanzania or Southeast Asia. Besides this connection, the opportunity to export corn and other grains matters to farmers. I think the video below from the USGC sums it up.

After my summer at the U.S. Grains Council I have developed a great appreciation for the work done in developing markets and enabling trade to improve lives. Now more than ever, I believe that feeding the world is a collective effort and real work is being done to overcome challenges facing agriculture. I truly appreciate the Nebraska Corn Board for allowing me to represent 26,000 Nebraska corn farmers in Washington D.C. this summer at the U.S. Grains Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment