June 29, 2015

A Wide, Wonderful World of Agriculture!

Share:
By Glen Ready, National Corn Growers Association Intern.

Hello! My name is Glen Ready, and thanks to the incredible staff at Nebraska Corn Board, I have the opportunity to serve the Washington, D.C. public policy office of the National Corn Growers Association. As a policy and membership intern in the office, I get to work in various capacities for each of the Directors of Public Policy. Being here has truly opened my eyes to the amount of work that goes beyond the annual ritual of planting, tending, and harvesting our crops. This work is important, even vital, to our precious industry, and is often overlooked. My time here has shown me that the agriculture industry is vast, and each facet of the industry plays a key role. Before going in to this, let me share my background!

I grew up on a small no-till family farm just outside of the town of Scribner, NE. Growing up, my siblings and I all played various roles on the farm, as many “farm kids” do. I know that growing up in small town Nebraska “agriculture policy” was the last thing I was concerned about as I helped fill the planter for the thousandth time or prepped the sprayer to head out on the field. I currently attend the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, and am an Agricultural Economics major with an emphasis in Public Policy and will be a senior in the fall. If you are like many of my fellow students, you had a confused face when you read “public policy”. This is not an unnatural reaction, nor, after three years, unexpected. The realm of agricultural policy is often overlooked by some of us in production agriculture.

The Nebraska Corn Board, National Corn Growers Association, and countless other organizations that I’ve had the opportunity to network with here in the district all work very hard to make sure we as producers (and across the entire supply chain) can do our jobs. Being here has given me the opportunity to see this work in progress. I’ve gotten to attend hearings on the Hill, sit in on important meetings about various issues, and seen active discussions as to which “next step” this organization can take in the best interest of the producer back in small-town Nebraska. This industry that our state cherishes is one that wouldn’t exist as we know it without the work that these organizations have done and continue to do.

Growing up, I was presented so many opportunities and experiences thanks to community members that cared about the future of agriculture. This industry continues to give me the experience and opportunities to grow in a number of ways. I probably won’t be going back to production agriculture, but I can use my strengths and experiences to help those that have helped me in so many more ways than what people may see on a daily basis. I’ve had a wonderful time here, and am looking forward to learning even more from these hard-working people. I’m excited to graduate and begin a career as an advocate for our industry, and am thankful for this opportunity that the Corn Board has given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment