July 3, 2014

Reaching New Heights in Denver

Share:

By Abigail Wehrbein, USMEF intern

awehrbein2blog_2I cannot believe that July is already here and that I am already over half way through my internship at the U.S Meat Export Federation. By now I have completed a few projects, currently working towards my main project, and explored Colorado along the way.

A few projects I have completed include designing a briefing book and biography brochure for the U.S Corn Industry Executive Trade Mission to Spain, Ireland and Belgium in June. This briefing book included information about the trip, exports for Pork, Beef and Lamb, and a few articles related to the agriculture industry. The biography brochure listed state’s grain organization directors from across the U.S that attended this trade mission.

My main project I am current working towards is designing a beef export cut poster and cut guidebook that will be a tool for packers and exporters. These are the meat cuts that are most commonly exported. I will travel to Dakota City, NE at Tyson’s Fresh Meats plant sometime within the next few weeks to take pictures of the cuts. I will then meet with a graphic designer to put a layout together for the poster and guidebook. I have learned to be very flexible with this project and to work under pressure to ensure this project can be accomplished.

I have done some sightseeing while I’ve been here. A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I traveled to Pike’s Peak and made the 19-mile drive up to the top at 14,114 ft. It was worth the view even though my car decided to not shift down to the lowest gear on the way down. So luckily my brakes made it down with us. We also visited the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, which was a great experience and to look down on Colorado Springs.

awehrbein2blog_5  awehrbein2blog_4

Then last weekend my brother and I went to a Rockies baseball game and made the drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park. We drove up in the tundra to the highest point on the road, which was 12,183 ft., right before seeing the Continental Divide. We saw tons of elk and hiked around Bear Lake and up to Alberta Falls as well. We also had to go to Rockmount Ranch Wear that is the western store that invented the snap front western shirt and has been around since the early 1900s. I have had a great time so far living in Denver and don’t want the summer to end just yet.

awehrbein2blog_3  awehrbein2blog_1

No comments:

Post a Comment