May 29, 2014

Intern project on UAVs in agriculture

Share:

By Joe Conrad, NCGA-St. Louis intern

DSC_0013Greetings from St. Louis!

I will be interning throughout the summer with the National Corn Growers Association (NCGA), which is located only a short drive from my host family’s home, in Chesterfield, Missouri. My first week at work has been eye-opening. I came to this internship with limited agricultural experience, so I’ve really focused on getting some background on how the industry operates and how NCGA works as a part of it. I have been lining up interviews with various members of the staff to get a more detailed explanation of their role in the office. From the interviews I’ve already conducted, I was amazed to see how the organization has people from all different backgrounds and skill sets. Along with learning each person’s background and expertise, I have also received an in-depth look at the programs and coalitions NCGA has built.

In addition to the interviews, I was given my first project this week. I will be researching unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) as a state organization is looking to propose an amendment to support their use in agriculture. I will be investigating the potential benefits and harms of using such technology, and I will be presenting my findings. I’m excited to see what other projects I will be working on throughout the course of my internship that will exploit my background in political science and economics. The opportunities seem endless.

As I mentioned earlier I am staying with a host family, and they have been great! Their neighbor works at the NCGA office, and has a pool in the backyard. I’ve spent most afternoons after work lounging by their pool. I can’t say enough about their hospitality. It is a great set-up, and I can tell I’m going to enjoy my summer. I’m getting all types of suggestions about places to eat and things to do, so I can’t wait to explore the city. There’s a lot to learn, but I look forward to diving into it.

Read about all of the Nebraska Corn Board supported interns here.

No comments:

Post a Comment