June 3, 2013

USMEF intern attends meeting, focuses on summer projects

Share:
Michael Chao
By Michael Chao, USMEF intern

Time flies, I can’t believe I am already two weeks into my internship at the US Meat Export Federation (USMEF). I still remember the first day I walked into this office, Paul Clayton- the senior vice president of technical services called me into his office and gave me a whole list of projects to work on. It seems like I will be composing tons of technical fact sheets on topics like animal health, beef and pork quality assurance programs, food safety, human nutrition…etc for internal use.

Also, I will be constructing a step-by-step guide to teach foreign importers how to obtain dry-aged beef products from U.S. Finally, I will work with directors from International USMEF offices to compile a list of subprimals that U.S. exports to each country.

I was very fortunate to attend the USMEF board of directors meeting at Washington, D.C. last week. I learned so much about how USMEF operates and met tons of interesting and important people from the meeting. I also learned that there are still many trade barriers on U.S. meat products that are not science-based, and it is our responsibility as an industry to ensure our government can resolve these issues. In addition, I met last year’s intern, Jessica at the meeting. She told me so much about her experience as an intern at USMEF, and how that experience led her to her current career choice.

Denver is such a beautiful and diverse city. I finally got to enjoy some authentic Asian restaurants here in Denver. However, I do not enjoy the morning and afternoon traffic. I live only 8.7 miles away from the office, but it takes me about 40 minutes to get to work everyday. Both the freeway and the local routes are like big parking lots during traffic hours. Oh well, there is really not much to complain because everyone in the office is super nice and awesome and I am really enjoying every minute here in this office.

No comments:

Post a Comment