July 23, 2010

Video: The danger of science denial

Share:
"I think it's clear that we can make food that will feed billions of people without raping the land that they live on. I think we can power this world with energy that doesn't also destroy it. I really do believe that, and, no, it ain't wishful thinking," Michael Specter, a staff writer for the New Yorker, says in the TED video embedded below.

"But here's the thing that keeps me up at night -- one of the things that keeps me up at night. We've never needed progress in science more than we need it right now, never, and we've also never been in a position to deploy it properly in the way that we can today. We're on the verge of amazing, amazing events in many fields. And yet, I actually think we'd have to go back hundreds, 300 years, before the Enlightenment, to find a time when we battled progress, when we fought about these things more vigorously, on more fronts, than we do now," Specter said.

No comments:

Post a Comment